1.1K views

I almost became a victim of Stone Wall Press, a self-publishing company. Don’t get confused with other traditional publishing houses or the one in the UK.

This scam company claimed to be in the business for years already but when I checked their website they have only been in the industry for 3-5 months now. They offer you free publishing and free assessment and you only need to invest smaller amounts but it’s just a bait for them to get your commitment and ask you double or triple of the initial investment. When I checked their declared address at 363 PALADIUM COURT, OWINGS MILLS, MARYLAND 21117, it’s a residential address and not a business office. I’ve found out that all of the staff and business office is in the Philippines.

Good thing is that I was not able to give them my credit card information yet. I am doing this not to put their business at stake but for the sake of my co-authors to know that they must get rid of this press company before it will be too late.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Comments

feliciastone

I would best suggest that you reveal your names for legitimacy purposes so that your concerns about Stonewall Press will be addressed well. Modesty aside, the company already helped a lot of authors from companies who were not able to fulfill what was promised to them by their publishers.

Please visit our website: www.stonewallpress.com or follow us via our Twitter Account @PressStonewall where you can see the satisfied authors we have. We were a registered exhibitor in Book Expo America and now, in Germany’s Frankfurt International Book Fair. You can visit this link: Stonewall Press Frankfurt Book Fair Registration.

Just search Stonewall Press and see it for yourself. https://catalog.services.book-fair.com/en/exhibitors-and-directories/exhibitors-a-z-search/action/list/controller/Exhibitors/

6/28/18 I just got an unsolicited call from "Marcus" w/ Stonewall Press wanting to promote my book at the Frankfurt Book Fair for registration fee of $799. He was heavily accented, he couldn't even pronounce my book name.My book was published in late 2017 & doing well, including >150 radio interviews and TV w/ Tucker Carlson. No thank you, but nice try.https://inconvenientfacts.xyz/

to GregW #1519799

Just had the same scenario happen to me (7/16/2018) for a book I had published a decade before. Cold call, out of the blue, said that Stonewall wanted to promote my book for the Frankford Int'l Book Fair, wanted registration fee of $800, but hurry, there are only 5 slots left!

Then, they wanted to redesign my book cover to "modernize" it. That would be another $700. Politely told them no thanks - couldn't justify that kind of expense, at this time...

guess they think people will just hand over money in a rush. They found out they called the wrong person, that I wasn't going to fall for their scheme.

The same story...don't give them ANY of your information!SCAM!!!

Same experience as other posters here. I received an unsolicited phone call, followed up their "website".

Obviously a scam, set up to tempt self-published authors into a marketing scheme. I was called by them last night at 11:30PM, pressuring me to buy into one of their their various "marketing programs." The call both times was a foreigner who spoke very poor English.

They are targeting self-published authors. Stay away from them.

Same here. I just received a very scam-sounding call from Stonewall Press, offering to represent my book at the Frankfurt Book Fair if I'm willing to pay for marketing. Stay clear.

to A published author #1505201

What is the name of the agent who called you? Someone calls me just now and I said I'm gonna think about it. Now I'm not sure if I should trust him or not.

to Ellen Davichi #1509094

I got a call from the "agent" June 27th at around 8pm. The strongly accented guy said his name was Alex, and I couldn't understand what he said the last name was - "Catch" or "Kotch." Thanks to you all's very timely warnings - hey he's calling me back today June 28th!I asked him what they charged for their "services" - had to ask twice.

$799.

I thanked him and hung up. He's calling back too!

Thanks for the confirmation that the company is NOT actually in Maryland, USA.I suspect several "self-publishing" companies have "fronts" like theirs and are actually located in a foreign country.I haven't used them, but I'm getting calls, priming me for the killing!

It's really a scam. Check their facebook page.

The employees are the ones clicking the likes. Such a pity!

My wife was surprised when she listened to a phone message about my book titled "The Summer of 1977". The caller said she saw very favorable reviews from my local media outlet and wanted to discuss my book with her.

It took several minutes for both my wife and I to stop laughing since I HAVE NEVER written a book. I live in a very small town, and local media outlets have never contacted me to discuss anything let alone a book I allegedly wrote.SCAM ALL THE WAY!!!!

to DScott #1481813

Here's the facebook of this scumbags.https://www.facebook.com/stonewall.press.92

I agree, there's a lot of businesses running in the Philippines that are doing self-publishing. Legit businesses should not have a residential address in the United States.

It's common that most US businesses are outsourcing in the Philippines but there should be a physical entity in the US. This is purely scamming if something goes wrong, how can you people claim your money?

My son just got a call from Stonewall Press (4/6/18). The caller did have a Philippina accent and tried to lure him into paying $489 to have someone represent his book at the Frankfurt, GE book fair.

Their website displays books long past trademark protection and now in the public domain and doesn't even carry fantasy books.

She provided her callback telephone number as 248-334-0980 X 303. A reverse call came up with an address of 43494 Woodward Ave, Bloomfield Hills MI 48302-5052.Needless to say, and at my urging, he refused.

What year did you make this comment?

to Harry #1481811

February 8, this year, i believe

Thank you for this post! It was extremely helpful!

to Anonymous #1507716

Was approached with, "a very high rating (4.5 out of 5)" on my book that was self-published in 2010."Jay" offered to republish my "enhanced" book for $500 instead of the regular "$699" price.I checked with BBB first before I clicked on the PayPal link they sent in an email.DO NOT LET THIS SCAM CONTINUE...BEWARE OF WOLVES IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING!